Remembering John

Today(Oct 9th) marks what would have been 72nd birthday of my favorite musician John Lennon. He is not around in person but his music lives on. I was chatting with a friend(a fellow beatlemaniac) and he asked me what were my favorite Lennon songs. That question stumped me. I thought hard for a while but I couldn't put my finger on any one of them and say, "this is my most favorite one." There are no songs that I like better than the rest. But I have what I call "seasonal favorites". One day my player would be looping "Tell me why" and the next day I'd listen to nothing but "Girl". It depends largely on the state of my mind, my mood, events happening around/to me. Sometimes I like them for no reason. These are the Lennon numbers from my most played list at this point of time (I think I recognize a pattern).

Tomorrow never knows:

I am no music historian but I believe psychedelic music was practically non-existent before this song came along. I always feel this song makes better sense when I am high. :P Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.



Across the universe:

A song that winds me down at the end of a long day. A song I turn to for comfort during emotional turbulence. It perks me up when things seems to falling apart at the seems. Jai guru deva, nothing's gonna change my world.



Girl:

Ah Girl... sssssssssssssssssssssss!



There is a place:

A song from the Beatles' debut album. A simple song but what I love about it is the harmony of Lennon and McCartney. Is there a duo that sings harmony better?



I am the Walrus: 

This song is from another planet. Another song from Oh-my-god-so-I-am-so-high-I-am-levitating playlist. Oh John, what would I do without you?




All you need is love:

Could there be any list of John's/Beatles' songs without this one? A seemingly simple message that  almost everyone seems to overlook: love is all you need.


In my life:
This one tears my heart apart, every time.


And your bird can sing:

John said it was one of his throwaways, fancy paper around an empty box. I say, it's better than the best song of most bands. You can't miss George's marvelous guitar riffs.


Baby, it's you:

Not John's own song but I love the way he has sung this one. I like it better than the original.





I feel fine:

I am in love this song and I feel fine.



Did you like any of these? What's your favorite John number?

Comments

Popular Posts