The wit and wisdom of Stephen Fry

While looking around the library shelves for weekend reading, my sight fell on a familiar face on the front cover of a book. A closer look and I recognized the charming, smiling face of a young man - Stephen Fry. I knew him as a consummate actor (remember Jeeves and Wooster?), but did he write books? I turned the front cover and read the blurb on the laminated cover. I loved his self-deprecating humor and mock humility instantly. Along with Orwell and Wodehouse, I brought him home to spend the weekend with. That's the best thing I have done this weekend.


Paperweight (what a title!) is a collection of Fry's various writing, from radio scripts to newspaper columns. I haven't completed the book yet but I truly enjoyed every article I read so far. Fry has an amazing command over the language. The book is replete with hilarious articles ranging from laugh-out-loud funny to amusingly insightful. He had me in splits with his wit on numerous occasions. To sum up in three words - Insightful, interesting and Intriguing. (oops, that's four words!)

P.S: The copy of this book I borrowed from library is autographed by the author. I am seriously thinking of  holding on this copy and replacing it with a new one. This is certainly one book I will treasure.
P.S.1: Apparently, Paperweight is not Stephen Fry's best work. I read somewhere that his autobiography 'Moab Is My Washpot' is his masterpiece. I can't wait to get a copy of it.

Comments

Popular Posts