While my guitar gently weeps

Down with Kolaveri virus? Here's a song that will pull you out of misery.

I've made no secret of the fact that I love The Beatles. I'm rather surprised that no one recommended me to listen to The Beatles. May be people just assumed that they are so good that everyone would have heard them. It was John Lennon's popularity that created a curiosity in me to hear their songs. The more I listen to them, the more I am becoming a fan of George Harrison. I recently noticed that many of their songs that I play on repeat are penned and sung by George. Here's one of my favorites:


I wish I could express what is so magical about this song that makes me love it but the lack of music knowledge forbids me. George, who doesn't believe in coincidence, decided to write a song based on first thing he reads upon opening a book. He saw "gently" weeps, laid down the book and wrote - bless his soul - the song 'While my guitar gently weeps'. The piano riff at the beginning of the song sends shivers through me everytime. Apart from Ringo's spectacular beats and Paul's mesmerizing bass, Eric Clapton - not a member of The Beatles but played lead guitar for this song on George's request - is mind-blowing. If I could play like him, I would swoon and die. True to the name of the song, he makes the guitar weep with some haunting riffs.

Isn't it funny that Kolaveri has got more youtube hits than this masterpiece? Whatever! That doesn't make this song one bit less special.

Plug your earphone, close your eyes and be swayed! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts