To Chennai with love

All things eventually come to an end. It's too bad though, that good things meet with its end sooner and bitter episodes last longer. My short stay at Swathi Apartment, Adayar is one of those beautiful moments tucked away in a corner of my memory. My three months in that heaven, unclean though it was, was laced with so many wonderful episodes and memories that will last eight lifetimes.

Physically I am several thousand miles and a couple of oceans away from that place but my heart is still in Chennai. Not a day goes by that I don't think of it. Some days, it's my first thought in the morning and the last before I crash. What I wouldn't give to get that life back again! But then again, there is nothing so valuable that I could trade for a piece of my past. Perhaps, that's what makes it precious. And priceless.

I miss the last night strolls every night to have steaming hot coffee, even though it tasted nothing like coffee. I miss bickering over tv remote and the fight that eventually breaks out. I miss Saturday morning cricket. I miss Friday night parties. Late night ice-cream. I miss those birthday celebrations and how we kicked the hell out of the birthday baby in the name of bumps. I miss watching movies at Jeyanthi theater and listening to Thala complaining that he'd never go to that theater again. I miss chatting over a drink at Fruit Shop until the shopkeeper would ask to leave. I miss how we cared for each other but never really made it explicit, thanks to our alpha-male attitude! I miss Thala's dumb attempt at wisecrack and how only he laughed at his own jokes. I miss pulling Mean-mullu's leg over his stinginess. I miss watching movies with Suna-panaa, who'd driving us nuts by reciting the dialogues before it came on screen and how he would irritate us by rewinding and doing it all over again. I miss mami's sense of humour.

Above all, I miss the children we were.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts