Rants of a dormant reader

So many books to read. More than fifteen days have passed since I started Sea of Poppies but I’m still on page 15. There is unfinished Papillon. And a Bill Bryson’s book, which I enjoyed so much that I don’t want to finish. I read two or three books parallely. And I almost always read P.G.Wodehouse. This might give you an impression that I am a voracious reader, but sadly the only activity of mine to which I would attach the word ‘voracious’ is eating. My reading interest can be best described by Sine Wave. Alternative cycles of peaking and hitting the nadir.

It’s the latter part of the cycle that I’m going through now, which was preceded by a spell of intensive reading during which period I finished seven books in a span of thirty days. By the standards of a few avid readers on ch1 this may not be a big deal, but to me, whose previous best achievement was reading an entire copy of kumudham at one go while waiting in a saloon, this is quite an achievement.

A change in my work timing has contributed to dampen my spirits. My day starts at eleven in the morning and I turn in so late that by the time I reach home IPL match is almost over. That doesn’t mean that I do not read because of my hectic work(hic hic!). On the contrary, I mostly read a lot on days that were packed with work. And on days when my important task was deleting the forwarded mails, I reach home too exhausted to lift an eyebrow, let alone a book.

It doesn’t help to have a bunch of clowns for rommies who think reading is a waste of time and whose idea of a good book is one that has a skimpily clad women on cover (that’s an exaggeration!) and has a storyline that, if adopted into a movie, Mallika Sherawat and Moncia Belluci can do full justice to. Not that I would shy away from such books, but my literary preferences aren’t restricted to such books. It would be an exaggeration to say that they stand in my way. They go about their business of watching movies and I go about my business of reading, only that I will have to switch off the light and read.

Sometimes I flirt with the idea of waking up early to read, knowing fully well that I can’t rise early to save my life. I set the alarm clock for 6am before turning in for the night and this is what generally happens:

6:00 am: The alarm goes off.

6:03 am: Roomie 1 wakes up. Kicks me in the ass. I don’t budge.

6:04 am: I realize there is some commotion going on.

6:04:02 am: Alarm goes on snooze mode.

6:09:02 am: Alarm goes off again.

6:10 am: Rommie 2’s sleep is disturbed. Hurls invectitudes at me.

6:11 am: I begin to wonder if there was any important work to be done.

6:11:03 am: Alarm goes on snooze mode again.

6:16:03 am: Alarm goes off again.

6:17 am: Roomie 3 wakes up and switches off the alarm.

9:30 am: Good morning. :D

Comments

  1. nice reading...
    good literary preferences, dude... ;-)

    keep 'em coming.. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts